Low-budget horror The Devil Inside emerged victorious at the US box office this weekend. The film, which earned scathing reviews from most critics, proved a commercial success to the tune of $34.5M.
Elsewhere, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol ($20.5M), Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows ($14.1M) and Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ($9.5M) continued to pull in solid post-Christmas crowds, while The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo stayed strong ($11.4M), slowly improving its domestic take ($76.8M) and chances of its in-development sequel being officially greenlit.
Rounding out the top ten are War Horse ($8.6M), We Bought A Zoo ($8.4M), The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn
($6.6M), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ($5.7M) and New Year’s Eve ($3.2M).
The US top ten in full:
1. The Devil Inside – $34.5M
2. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol – $20.5M
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows – $14.1M
4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – $11.4M
5. Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – $9.5M
6. War Horse – $8.6M
7. We Bought A Zoo – $8.4M
8. The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn – $6.6M
9. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – $5.7M
10. New Year’s Eve – $3.2M