Universal Pictures’ Contraband reigned supreme at the US box office this weekend. The modestly budgeted action-thriller starring Mark Wahlberg and Kate Beckinsale raked in an impressive $28.8M to nab the top stop.
A re-issued, 3D conversion of Beauty And The Beast proved popular with audiences, to the tune of $23.5M, while other new entry, the musical-comedy Joyful Noise, landed at four with a more than solid $13.8M.
Elsewhere, last week’s winner The Devil Inside ($9.2M) failed to entice audiences for a second week, and We Bought A Zoo clung to the last spot with $6.8M.
The US top ten in full:
1. Contraband – $28.8M
2. Beauty And The Beast (3D) – $23.5M
3. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol – $14.2M
4. Joyful Noise – $13.8M
5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows – $10.5M
6. The Devil Inside – $9.2M
7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – $8.1M
8. Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – $7.8M
9. War Horse – $7.2M
10. We Bought A Zoo – $6.8M